Thursday, September 24, 2009

Magic Numbers and Magic Stadiums

----As of today, the Yankees magic number to clinch the AL East and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs is 5. The Yankees have 9 games remaining, the Red Sox have 11. The Red Sox would need to win all 11 games and the Yankees would have to go 3-6 for the Red Sox to beat the Yankees for the division. Possible? Anything is (see 2004 ALCS, ugh). Is it likely? No.

----I personally will be at Yankee Stadium tomorrow night at the first of the final three regular season games versus the Red Sox. It should be a tough matchup for the Yankees as the bewildered Joba Chamberlain faces the utterly gritty, tough, new outlook on life cancer survivor, and overlooked Jon Lester. I will blog about the crowd atmosphere to perhaps give you a preview to the October vibe because I am sure it will be equivalent if not louder come playoff time.

----I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually think this Yankee Stadium is more of a homefield advantage for the Bombers than the old one. Perhaps the old stadium's magic blew it's last gust of glory when it had the wind knocked out of it during that fated and stunning 2004 ALCS loss? Maybe since that moment, the ghosts already headed across the street and were just waiting for the new ballpark to join it? I guess we'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment